The Evolution of the Congregational Church of Boothbay Harbor, Maine, from Its Origins in 1766 to 2016
John F. Bauman, Robert W. Dent, Sarah M. Foulger, and Chip Griffin
Doreen C. Dun
Some thirty years after its founding as a Presbyterian church in 1766, the faith community that next became the Congregational Church of Boothbay adopted in 1798 a covenant that continues to guide its successor, the Congregational Church of Boothbay Harbor, United Church of Christ. The covenant’s key commitment declares, “We will make it our business as far as in us lies, to build up of lively, and only lively, stones, a spiritual-house, growing into an holy temple in the Lord.”
Like the nation and the world, the eighteenth-century church community in the Boothbay region has experienced enormous change over the past 250 years. This history explores that change, enshrining in particular the role of human actors in the long historical drama, those “lively stones” who undergird this religious institution’s long growth and development.
The “lively stones” theme that continues to inspire the people of the Congregational Church of Boothbay Harbor in 2016 emerges chapter by chapter in descriptions of people whose faith, fortitude, and wisdom have enabled the church to endure and over 250 years to prosper, despite multiple challenges to its survival.